Maori Tattoo inspired tattoo designs with their thick black swirling lines and geometric patterns are now one of the most popular styles of tattoo around the world.
Ta Moko, traditional Maori body and face tattoos, map the social status and position in indigenous New Zealand society. The male Moko is divided into eight sections:
1. Rank - Center forehead area
2. Position - Around the brows
3. Hapu rank - The eyes and nose area
4. Marriages (uma) - The temples
5. Signature - The area under the nose
6. Work - The cheek area
7. Mana - The chin
8. Birth Status - The jaw
Traditional Ta Moko represent each individual's unique identity and should never be copied.